16 JAN 2023
Django developer & cloud systems administrator
Seeking a passionate Django lover who can help with maintenance & operations on an open-source, social justice project.
Position is fully-remote. Commitment 10-15 hrs per month
- Seeking a developer and cloud systems administrator for an open-source project tracking police misconduct.
- The Contractor will be responsible for 1) regular security patching of software 2) minor bugfixes and change orders 3) deploying updates and making hosting configuration changes to client Azure App-Service environments.
- As needed, the Contractor may be asked to set up instances of the application for new clients.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Monitor availability of security patches and dependency updates; as well as vulnerability disclosures
- Deploy software updates to client’s on-premise servers
- Server administration for Azure PAAS environments (Azure App-Service)
- Explain technical concepts of setup and maintenance to non-technical stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned.
- Manage initial site installation, including working with site’s information technology department to set up cloud hosting, webapp, and directory services connections.
- Oversee and advise on development done by a development firm
Education, Experience and Competencies:
- Demonstrated professional experience working in Python programming language, the Django web framework, Azure App Services, PostgreSQL
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to translate complex technical ideas and discuss the impact of technical decisions with precision to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Commitment to transparent, reproducible and clean code and documentation
- Willingness and patience to work with government agencies with layered internal IT staff
- Strong commitment to social justice and the mission of the project
- Ideal candidate will have experience across full-spectrum of software development lifecycle - user research, design, functional and technical requirements, architecture, coding, debugging, testing, and release and operational support.