Web Application Developer: Django
Added on January 5, 2013
Syapse is a Palo Alto-based, venture-backed startup that is building the genomic extension to the electronic medical record by bring sequencing data together with rich metadata about patients, specimens, diseases, and genes. Our platform enables biomedical companies, providers, and payers to use genomics and other patient profiling information to make clinical decisions. Built on a semantic data layer, our web application combines a powerful cloud-based platform for aggregating and structuring biomedical data with intuitive data mining, workflow, and reporting features.
We are looking for a multi-talented, curious engineer to join our web application development team. You will start out becoming an expert with the Django application server, and expand from there into more of the application stack. You will be confident tackling the standard challenges of security, scalability, multi-tenancy, and application extensibility. You will be excited to work on our unusual challenges such as enabling users to query and customize semantic data intuitively, tying together relational and semantic data stores, and enabling collaboration in sensitive data contexts.
- Be a Django expert: know the framework backward and forward, stay current on the ecosystem of third-party modules that are used to build Django applications, and advocate for using this software to our fullest advantage.
- Take ownership of many components at the server side foundation of the application, and work with the team to evolve the design patterns we use for building our Django code.
- Contribute to the database tier: optimization of queries, indexes, etc., participate in design for data security, and eventually design for scalability and availability issues that we will face.
- Participate in the architecture discussion at all levels of the application, anything from from static content distribution to physical architecture in the data center.
- Ideally, take on another aspect of our technology stack: working with our AWS-hosted cloud data center, and/or working with large genomic data sets (Hadoop, large file pipelines).
- Minimum three years experience developing web applications, with experience across the full stack, browser to database.
- Desire to become a complete Django expert is a must; prior experience with Django a strong plus. Experience and thorough knowledge of at least one web application framework is necessary.
- Knowledge of standard web application issues including for example security, performance, caching, HTTP protocol, and Apache configuration.
- Database: fluent in SQL, comfortable with all aspects of deploying and working with MySQL.
- Web interfaces: familiarity with AJAX design and general RESTful interface concerns a strong plus.
- Ability to work independently, collaborate closely, and bring other engineers up to speed on your work rapidly and thoroughly.
Country: United States
Gig Location: Palo Alto, California
Required to work on-site
Contact Details: Contact this employer...
Contact Location: Palo Alto, CA, USA.